Sunday, September 27, 2009

Ask Rob About Cars 9-27-09 Domestic Performance Sedan

Question: Hey man, I currently have an '05 LS2 GTO (in manual) and next year, I was looking into getting something else frivolous like a Corvette. But recently, I've really started to get tired of sitting in traffic with the GTO's s****y shifter (I have the ripshift but am constantly having to take it all apart and reloctite s**t), and the shot stock suspension. On top of that, the GTO's small trunk and pain-in-the-ass rear seat access has really started to bug me. And lastly, I am starting to give real thought to the possibility of having an auto in my next car. We go out with our friends quite a lot these days, and I usually can't drink because I end up driving, and the wife can't drive stick, and further has no desire to learn. Like, at all. So, my next car, I'm thinking needs to be something she can drive.

NOW THEN. This thinking led me to a series of needs for my next car (which by the way, my budget is $35,000 max):- Big trunk- Four doors- big honking American V8- Still needs to be pretty fast (in my past, I've gone from a Terminator cobra to a Mini Cooper S, I'll never make THAT mistake again)- all around useable space but still pretty quick, and fairly easy to mod.- needs to be an auto so the wife can drive it.So, with all these paremeters in mind, there were really only four or five cars that came to mind as possibilities:

1. Last gen CTS-V. The horror stories surrounding the rear end were enough to instantly disqualify this car.
2. G8 GT/GXP. GXPs are still going for massive cash, and the GT's interior is appalling. Typical GM plastic b******t. Everything else was what I needed, I just can't go back to a chintzy interior.
3. So that leaves me with the SRT8 Charger or 300 SRT8 as possibilities. I am strongly leaning towards the 300 SRT8s, which brings me to the main question: can you give me any information about these cars? I don't want to join an SRT board because they're really biased.

Moddability? How well do bolt-ons do for the car? (no FI or head/cam) Readers: This means no forced induction (turbo or supercharger) or cylinder heads and camshaft. Both are more expensive, extensive and significant "power adders".

RELIABILITY? The GTO is reliable, that is, the ENGINE is reliable, but the suspension is pure s**t, and I don't want another car I need to replace every single godd**n part on for it to be decent.

Is there a big trunk? Is there a pass-through for long items?- How does the back seat compare?- Is the auto a five or six speed?- Anything I should watch out for when looking at a used one (either Charger or 300)Thanks man.- SS

ANSWER: Hey SS, thank you for your inquiry.

The options you list with your requirements are all viable, except the 1st generation CTS-V is only available in a 6-speed manual. Interestingly, the G8 owners seem to like their interiors but really it's a matter of preference. What may not look so hot may feel and operate pretty well.

Modability: The 425hp 6.1 liter in the SRT-8s respond very nicely to bolt-on modifications and with a cold-air intake, a cat-back exhaust system and a dyno tune with a handheld tuner from Diablosport you can expect over 400 rear wheel horsepower (rwhp) on 91 octane gas. Bone stock they usually dyno at 355 to 375rwhp. Besides other tuning options, the revised shifting into 2nd and 3rd due to the reduced torque management really wakes the car up. Trap speed in the quarter mile increase 3-4 mph to maximum of 114mph and capable of ETs in the 12.6 to 12.7 range depending upon the sixty-foot time.

Reliability - Is quite satisfactory among thousands of owners. A potential sunroof rattle may exist and the excessive brake dust and radiator fluid odor have most likely been already addressed by a previous owner or non-existant on the newer models.

The trunk space is excellent and very deep and the rear seats do fold down for a pass through. Two adult-sized bicycles can fit with the trunk closed provided you take off the front wheels.

Rear seat room is also quite good and seats 2 adults comfortably and 3 isn't too bad either. Keep in mind the LX platform has a 120" wheelbase which is huge by most standards and makes for a lot of interior and cargo space.

The Mercedes sourced 5speed automatic is quite stout and despite the current 13 city / 18 highway rating, you'll see 20+mpg at 70mph stock and 22-23mpg when tuned. Figure 13mpg in the suburbs with a heavy foot. There are "deadspots" in 2nd and 3rd gear so knowing the powerband is important if hard acceleration is wanted going from a roll. The car is quicker if you let it upshift itself. However, downshifting is fun only after doing exhaust work.

It should be noted the suspension is stiffer on the Charger and handles noticably better than the 300 (body roll and jounce) but doesn't have quite as nice as an interior. The '08s have revised shocks for less harshness. The Brembo calipers are red on the Chargers, silver on the 300s.

Things to look out for when buying one are the same as any other car - crash damage, paintwork, etc. The owners of the SRT-8s tend to be maticulous enthusiasts so maintenance records may be provided besides what was done at the dealer. Going back to previous mentions, check the radiator fluid in the overflow tank to see if there is any debris. Brake rotors should be slotted (per a technical service bulletin) for prior year models and once warmed up, if it shifts from 1st to 2nd by itself despite being in "manual" mode. That is the preference because the tachometer and response to the autostick doesn't match the actual engine rpms and bouncing off the rev limiter is a frustrating result. The factory navigation system is very good but not a touch screen.

I highly recommend the 300cforums and Chargerforums along with the LXforums for vast technical knowledge, how-tos, a timeslip database and an added bonus, SRT-8 Engineer Chat Sessions that occur monthly on the first two.

Whichever you choose, you'll love it. Let me know if you have further questions.

Got a question about cars you would like answered? Performance, racing, modifying, shopping, makes, models, events, etc? Ask me here: AskRobAboutCars@gmail.com and I'll do my best to answer your question and publish it here on Examiner.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest!

Comments are welcome provided they are ON TOPIC and NO profanity. No rants, please. Contact me for requests.

If you see a correction based on your comment that remains unpublished i.e. "rejected", I want you to know I thank you for the tip.