Friday, December 11, 2009

Tesla updates and changes for 2010: T1 vs. T2

Test driving the 2010 Roadster Sport was an eye opening experience. Keeping in mind the 2009 model year was skipped without a one-year break, the improvements are significant. Here are some changes from the 2008 (T1) to the 2010 (T2).

The interior has been upgraded and features a push button "drive" selector vs. a lever. The video display screen was moved to the central dash area. It gives various information such as estimated range, power regenerated, number of barrels of oil saved, etc.

Enhanced battery cooling is also part of more powerful and quicker cabin cooling (air conditioning) as well as heating and overall ventilation.

Toggling between performance and "max range" is done by turning the key, even with driving. Needless to say, during my test drive I kept in the Performance mode notated by a tiny "P" in the upper right corner of the display screen.

A variety of sound-deadening techniques were utilized to reduce noise, vibration and harshness (NVH). One of the interesting methods was the use of pellets in a chassis side rail that expand by 5,000 percent during the adhesive heat cycling to eliminate rattles. Adhesives are used throughout virtually all automobiles. If you strip the interior and sound deadening material, any car is going to have some interesting squeaks and rattles. Tesla is obviously striving for improvements for mainstream appeal rather than kit-car refinement.

The Roadster Sport 215 kilowatt motor produces 288hp and 295 ft lbs of torque and is most noticeable up to 5,100rpm. As you can see from this graph from Motorcyclist magazine , power will fall off at higher speeds. I predict one of the next major improvements will be a multi-speed transmission that not only will make for great acceleration, but potentially a longer range during highway usage. You may remember the first generation T1 had a two speed transmission put problems meant abandoning it for a single-speed fixed gear. You can see Tesla's technical specs here.

The options available seem to be areas of profit as opposed to some seeming to be package deals. Quite clever - the vast majority of buyers can afford it and I would guess they contribute significantly to the margin of revenue. Remember, low volume doesn't make for discount prices. The Executive Leather Interior is $,6000. Alternately the Premium Carbon Fiber and Leather Interior is $9,000. Keep in mind this is a two-seater. A body color hardtop is $3,200 or $5,000 for carbon fiber. Exterior carbon fiber treatment is $9,000. The most common question - how much is a replacement battery? It's $12,000. A replacement engine for a high-end car can be far more costly.

While it doesn't appeal to everyone, Tesla has established credibility, viability and continue to evolve their daily driver. Their initial product, a high performance car that never needs gasoline, a high price-point (including the options) for profitability is a proven platform for further development before going mainstream. Will the T3 feature a multi-speed transmission? Perhaps it will have artificial intelligence...

Check out my test drive of the 2010 Roadster Sport here.
________
Have a question about cars you would like answered? Want to know about performance, racing, modifying, shopping, makes, models, events, etc? Ask me here: AskRobAboutCars@gmail.com and I'll do my best to answer your question and publish it here on Examiner.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest!

Comments are welcome provided they are ON TOPIC and NO profanity. No rants, please. Contact me for requests.

If you see a correction based on your comment that remains unpublished i.e. "rejected", I want you to know I thank you for the tip.