Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ask Rob About Cars 8-18-09

Question: I have a 993 turbo-S (1998 model year) and a 996 turbo-S (2005 model year)………..is there any word of a 997 turbo-S being made, or are they going to go right to the 998, starting with the 2010 model year???...and if they do NOT make a 997 turbo-S, does that increase the value of my 996 turbo-S, being that it would be the last time it was ever made??

Answer: First congratulations on your selection of fine vehicles. My answer is that Porsche basically eliminated the 'S' option on the 997 with the Sport Chrono package which included a 45ft lbs increase in torque. My review of the 997 Twin Turbo here. Your 996 may increase slightly but I think it will simply stabilize in value.

The 2010 has another jump in horsepower by 20 to 500hp and improved acceleration with the PDK gearbox. I believe Porsche still could offer an 'S' package on this new model but one never knows, which makes answering a guess. Whether or not an 'S' is ever made again, your 996 may slightly increase incrementally in value or hold stable for a longer period of time. This is simply due to a rarer model designation vs. a depreciation due to continuous improvements in the model line-up. Again the Sport-Chrono package may make the 'S' designation redundant.

One tidbit I picked up from the online forums is that the new Turbo no longer has the GT1 motor and speculation is that it may not be as stout as the 3.6 liter for modifications in the upper horsepower range. But these are really just S.W.A.Gs (scientific wild-ass guesses) and at this time may make your 996 more desirable for the rare buyer looking for that aspect before the modifications prove that theory incorrect or not. The vast majority of shoppers though won't be looking to mod the car to the 700whp range....

Got a question about cars you would like answered? Ask about performance, racing, modifying, shopping, makes, models, events, etc? Ask me here: AskRobAboutCars@gmail.com and I'll do my best to answer your question and publish it here on Examiner.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest!

Comments are welcome provided they are ON TOPIC and NO profanity. No rants, please. Contact me for requests.

If you see a correction based on your comment that remains unpublished i.e. "rejected", I want you to know I thank you for the tip.