Thursday, July 21, 2016

Ferrari 488 GTB owner interview

Over three years ago I published a comparison article of the Ferrari 458 Italia versus the McLaren MP4-12C. Now the same owner has a Ferrari 488 GTB and was gracious enough to share his insights. Tony Gaples, owner of the Blackdog Speedshop and driver of the #11 Blackdog Speedshop Chevrolet Z/28.R Camaro in the Pirelli World Challenge GTS series broadcast on CBS sports is the very happy owner of the black model pictured here.

First some background on the Ferrari 488 GTB which is the replacement for the 458 Italia, considered by many to be the best sports car in the world. Dropping the normally aspirated 4.5 liter V8 engine that peaked at 597 horsepower in the Speciale model, the engine is now a 3.9 liter twin turbo V8 producing 661 horsepower and 561 lbs ft of torque at 3,000rpm. By all accounts it is an improvement over the 458 except in one area. Read on.

Q: How would you sum up the Ferrari 488 GTB?
Everything is amazing except the exhaust sound which is exactly the same as my M5. You can't feel the turbos, I think Ferraris should always be naturally aspirated.

Q: What is your overall impression of the 488 GTB?
My overall impression of the car is Ferrari makes some of the best cars in the world. The 488 is a quarter step past the 458. I would still say the 458 is the second best manufacturer built performance car you can buy. This after its replacement, the 488. It is fast, with physics defying handling and amazing brakes all wrapped in a user friendly package with some of the best looks, which were carved in the wind tunnel.

Q: What do you like the most about it?
What I like the most can also be said about all the mid-engine Ferraris. They are like a motorcycle on four wheels. Frantic acceleration with an incredible suspension, stop-now brakes and great ergonomics.

Q: Is there anything you don’t like about it?
There isn't much to not like with the 488. Even though the turbo power comes on as if they weren't there, I feel Ferraris should be naturally aspirated. The exhaust note still has a Ferrari sound to it but not as intense as prior models without turbos. I'm not sure if I have an electrical glitch, but under heavy braking it turns on the hazard lights. This I don't like at all. I don't want to advertise how fast I'm scrubbing off speed.

Q: Any surprises with the car?
No real surprises, but I'm glad Ferrari has finally adopted a keyless ignition since you had to hit a start button anyway. Also it’s neat to have a speedometer and tachometer for the passenger. The exhaust note is reminiscent of a BMW M5, yet louder and more bravado but still definitely a Ferrari.

Q: Ferrari purposely tuned the power delivery to mimic a naturally aspirated engine. What is your feedback having experienced this?
The power and torque curve has a very naturally aspirated feeling. There's always a kick in your back with any press of the go pedal in any gear. Hard not to like, but again I prefer naturally aspirated.

Q: What differences and improvements that you noticed versus the 458 Italia?
If you had a 458 it's a natural progression sitting in the cabin if the 488, not much has changed and what has is for the better. I'm not missing a thing. The improvements are all small. More power and better usability over the 458.

Q: What about a 458 Speciale, the last normally aspirated, non-hybrid assist, mid-engine Ferrari?
I also own a 458 Speciale and will probably keep that car forever. The pinnacle of the 458's.

Q: Any plans to track the car, especially given your level of experience and knowledge?
Even though the 488 GTB comes out of the box ready for race track, I suspect I'll never take on there because if I'm at a race track I'm generally working on my #11 Blackdog Speedshop Chevrolet Z/28.R Camaro or trying to squeeze out better times from my 2014 COPO Camaro depending on the track. Note: Tony’s Copo Camaro is a deep 9-second, 140+mph dedicated drag car.

Q: Turbo cars are easy to modify with increasing boost, would you ever consider it or have you looked into it?
I don't anticipate playing with the turbos on the 488 for more power, but we may see some Blackdog turbo packages for Camaros and Corvettes in the future.

Q: Assuming McLaren has made improvements to their cars over the years, would you consider a 650S or 675LT?
After the McLaren MP4-12C I've been soured on buying another McLaren. They may be much better cars now, but I'm not going to take the risk to find out.

Q: Any final words?
It’s fast as (insert favorite expletive here)! In any gear.

Update: A the Ferrari Finali Mondiali, I had a guess ride in a stock 488 GTB at Daytona International Speedway on December 4th . Driven by Toni Vilander, factory AF Corse Ferrari driver. It sounds great but the exhaust note is definitely muted as Tony stated. Blazingly fast, we hit 182mph on the back half of the track! It's an absolutely outstanding car.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest!

Comments are welcome provided they are ON TOPIC and NO profanity. No rants, please. Contact me for requests.

If you see a correction based on your comment that remains unpublished i.e. "rejected", I want you to know I thank you for the tip.